Monday 3 May 2010

Canvasser etiquette

I did something I probably shouldn't have done yesterday. I called a Labour canvasser a "tosser" to his face on my doorstep. The conversation materialised exactly how I had expected it to:

"Hello, sorry to disturb you on your bank holiday."


"Oh, hi, that's alright [the resentment building]." 

"Have you made up your mind as to who you're voting for yet? I'm canvassing on behalf of the local Labour party, by the way." 


"Yes - the Lib Dems." 


"Oh, why's that?" 


"Er, I'm not sure that's any of your business, is it?" 


"Well, I'd like to think I can change your mind." 


"You probably can't."


"How do the other people in your house feel [peering around me into my house]?"


"Anna! Do you feel the same way?"


"I'm undecided."


"RACH! DO YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY?"

"WHAT?" 

"DO YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY AS ME IN TERMS OF WHO YOU'RE GONNA VOTE FOR IN THE ELECTION?" 


"Erm, probably, yeah." 


"Well, there we go then." 


"OK, well, can I give you some leaflets and maybe you can re-think?"


"Do you know how many of those sodding things I've got already?"

"Well, the Lib Dems and Tories distribute the same amount."


"That's not the point [you shit]." 


I pause and gesture that I'd like to hear some policies for Islington South and Finsbury rather than listen to him try and infiltrate the reasons for my private vote. He walks off. I say "tosser" and close the door.


This is only the second general election I've been eligible to vote in, and I'm pretty unsure what the etiquette should be towards door-to-door canvassers. Many don't seem to be any better than door-to-door salesman - this guy, as it happened, was even worse.


No mention of policies, no explanation of how his party planned to improve the local area - just a stranger on my doorstep (he didn't properly introduce himself) questioning my private vote. On a bank holiday. Why should I give him the satisfaction of answering his questions without a list of pledges or policies explained to me verbally?


Incidentally, I have no prejudice against Labour - I would have said the same thing to a canvasser from any other party. The only thing that stopped me calling my local Tory canvassers "tossers" was their ability to make me laugh. They claimed that Islington Council has been controlled by Labour "forever", when in fact the Lib Dems have bossed it since 1999. Eejits.


Disclaimer: pictured above is James Alexander, the Labour parliamentary candidate for York Outer. He has nothing to do with Islington Labour canvassers apart from that pretty red rosette they share.


Pic credit: time-4-change.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment